Location: Jaffna, Sri Lanka (some flexibility)
Job Term: 1 full time (48 hours per week) for up to 6 months minimum
Salary: Competitive salary based on experience
Job ID No.: 2019-006
Other Details: Preference will be given to those with a demonstrable commitment to international development and engagement with issues impacting the North and East of Sri Lanka.
comdu.it is a fast-growing global network of diaspora volunteers who are committed to the sustainable development of the traditional Tamil homelands in Sri Lanka. Our vision is to help shift diaspora engagement from charity to sustainability, from aid to economic development, and from sending remittance to building a knowledge economy instead. We are registered as a not-for-profit organisation in Ontario, Canada and as a charitable organisation in Hamburg, Germany.
We put war-impacted, remote and rural, and other vulnerable populations in Sri Lanka first. As a Big Data Architect, you are passionate about data and technology solutions, are driven to learn about them and keep up with market evolution. You will play an active role throughout the entire engagement cycle, specialising in modern data solutions including data ingestion/data pipeline frameworks, data warehouse & data lake architectures, cognitive computing and cloud services. You are enthusiastic about all things data, have strong problem-solving and analytical skills, are tech savvy and have a solid understanding of software development. Our vision is nothing short of transforming the next generational relationship between the diaspora and Sri Lanka – and our goal is to match you with project(s) best aligns with your interests, experience, and where you will have the most impact in helping us achieve our vision.
Scope and Responsibilities
- Lead, define, design and implement end-to-end modern data platforms in support of analytics and AI use cases.
- Collaborate with enterprise architects, data architects, ETL developers & engineers, data scientists and information designers to lead identification and definition of required data structures, formats, pipelines, metadata, and workload orchestration capabilities.
- Address aspects such as data privacy & security, data ingestion & processing, data storage & compute, analytical & operational consumption, data modeling, data virtualization, self-service data preparation & analytics, AI enablement, and API integrations.
- Define and develop solution architectures, lead development teams, estimate effort and mentor junior colleagues.
- Lead technical meetings with vendors and project staff, and advise comdu.it decision makers with technical option analyses based on leading practices.
Qualifications and Experience
- 5+ years experience leading engagements from design to implementation of creative data solutions leveraging the latest in Big Data frameworks, supporting on-premise, cloud (AWS, Azure, GCP) and hybrid architectures to enable use cases in analytics and AI
- 5+ years experience architecting solutions for optimal extraction, transformation and loading of data from a wide variety of traditional and non-traditional sources such as structured, unstructured, and semi-structured using SQL, NoSQL and data pipelines for real-time, streaming, batch and on-demand workloads
- 5+ years experience with analytics/data management strategy formulation, architectural blueprinting, business case development and effort estimation of disruptor-based analytics
Ability to simplify complex technical concepts into easy-to-understand non-technical language in order to facilitate, communicate and interact with executives and business stakeholders, working with Agile development methods in data-oriented projects
- Completed Bachelor’s Degree (or higher) in quantitative areas such as Computer Science, Information Management, Big Data & Analytics, or related field is desired; certifications in architecture (TOGAF), data engineering and development on AWS, Azure, GCP and/or Hadoop distributions are an asset.
- Professional fluency in Tamil a plus.
- Understanding of political, sociocultural, and economic issues impacting Tamil-speaking communities in Sri Lanka is preferred.
- Familiarity with the UN’s 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development a plus.
- Entrepreneurial mindset with a relentless focus on results.
How To Apply
- You must apply by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Job Application –Big Data Architect” in the subject.
- Your cover letter and resume combined should not exceed three (3) pages.
- Please apply by no later than December 31, 2019 at 11:59 p.m. EST
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted. Applicant must be legally able to work in Sri Lanka.