There is growing interest amongst members of the Tamil diaspora in contributing their time and professional expertise in a meaningful manner to develop and empower vulnerable communities in war-affected, developing, rural, and remote regions of Sri Lanka. However, it is often difficult for these individuals to identify and connect with credible local community-based organisations in Sri Lanka. comdu.it is a growing global network of diaspora changemakers committed to the sustainable development of the traditional Tamil homelands in Sri Lanka. Since 2016, we have been committed to helping shift diaspora engagement from charity to sustainability, from aid to economic development, and from sending remittance to building a knowledge economy instead.
The Right of Return program stream provides post-secondary students and recent graduates with the opportunity to discover, connect, and explore their heritage and history in the North and East of Sri Lanka. Applicants will be placed in children’s homes, vocational schools, and other appropriate institutions to volunteer their skills and time to help build capacity of local communities in the Northern and Eastern provinces.
The Church of the American Ceylon Mission focuses on early childhood education and nutrition, after school educational and leadership programs for children and youth, vocational training, women’s livelihoods, children’s homes, and a centre for children with mental disability. It has active projects and initiatives underway in Jaffna, Kilinochchi, Mullaitivu, Vavuniya, Mannar, Trincomalee, Batticaloa, Amparai, and Nuwara Eliya. For more information, please visit www.facebook.com/acmchurch.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Prototype, design, and customize organizational website.
- Develop dynamic, search-engine-friendly content, including web copy, blog posts, social media posts, and more.
- Distribute content through online channels and partnerships to grow audience.
- Monitor, analyze, and report on content marketing metrics, and showing continuous improvement of the content strategy based on analytics and audience needs.
- Providing support with the writing and editing of e-newsletters, blog posts, and partner and donor communications.
- Train organizational staff using appropriate tools to enhance web communication, reporting, documentation and coordination across regions and administrative levels.
- Currently in or recently completed undergraduate degree or diploma in Web/UX design, Communication Studies, Marketing, or related disciplines.
- Knowledge of digital content strategy and tactics, including content creation, editing, analytics, social media marketing, blogging, and search engine optimization.
- Experience designing, customizing, and maintaining WordPress sites, and expertise in Adobe Creative Suite.
- Excellent presentation, interpersonal, analytical, and oral and written communication skills.
- Full fluency in English and conversational proficiency in Tamil.
- Strong personal initiative, resourcefulness and capacity to be self-motivated and also work as part of a team.
- Must be driven to improve the lives of marginalized people, and work with them to do so, in a way that is led by them, for them, and is sustainable and achieves their objectives.
- Must be committed to equality, and by extension, open to learning about resilience, diversity and solidarity from the vulnerable communities they are working with.
- Must be able to lead by example by being open minded, humble and embrace opportunities to grow personally.
Preferred but not mandatory qualifications
- Currently in or recently completed graduate degree or postgraduate diploma in Web/UX design, Communication Studies, Marketing, or related disciplines.
- Work experience in vocational institutions, post-secondary institutions, or international organizations.
Volunteer Benefits and Support
- Up to fifty per cent (50%) of all costs subsidized for successful applicants with demonstrated financial need.
- Guidance with booking flights, obtaining visa, accommodations, etc.
- Participation in pre-departure training where you will have the opportunity to learn about our work, gain practical skills for living and working in a lower middle-income country, and meet other volunteers.
- In-country orientation upon arrival.
- Potential tour and briefing of the Northern and Eastern provinces.
- Support and guidance prior to departure and while on assignment in Sri Lanka.
- Return debriefing after completion of assignment, including counselling support.
- The opportunity of a lifetime to provide meaningful assistance to war-impacted communities in the North and East of Sri Lanka.
- Applicants must be a citizen or permanent resident of Canada, Germany or host country between the ages of 18 – 30. Older applicants are also welcome.
- Departure date is contingent upon the timely completion of all administrative requirements (e.g. visa process, medical clearance, vulnerable sector checks, travel documentation).
- Those applicants with demonstrated financial need must raise at least fifty percent (50%) of their placement costs (travel, meals, health insurance, accommodations). Other applicants must raise funds to cover 100% costs of their placement.
- Please read our updated FAQs before applying!