There is growing interest amongst Canadians, and especially members of the Canadian Tamil diaspora, in contributing their time and professional expertise in a meaningful manner to develop and empower vulnerable communities in war-affected, under-developed, rural, and remote regions of Sri Lanka. However, it is often difficult for these individuals to identify and connect with credible local non-governmental organizations and community-based organizations in Sri Lanka.
comdu.it is a Canadian network of diaspora changemakers interested in sustainable development of vulnerable communities in war-affected, under-developed, rural, and remote regions of Sri Lanka, with an emphasis on the Northern and Eastern Provinces. Its mission is to help shift diaspora engagement from charity to sustainability, from aid to economic development, and from remittance to knowledge-based economy.
The Associateship program stream provides new and young professionals with the opportunity to discover, connect, and explore their heritage and history in the North and East of Sri Lanka. Applicants will pre-plan a project prior to their arrival in Sri Lanka, do a high-intensity implementation over a four-week period on the ground in the Northern and Eastern provinces, and continue evaluation upon their return to Canada.
This position is an internal placement for a talented digital content specialist to shadow comdu.it’s 2017 cohort of field volunteers and to record, create, and produce interesting and thoughtful rich media and text content documenting our experiences, successes, and lessons learned.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Analyze comdu.it’s current web and social media community to develop integrated marketing and communications strategy to increase awareness and attract funding based on outcomes of 2017 cohort of field placements.
- Managing the production of promotional, social, and educational rich media content for web, social media, and traditional media.
- Filming, photographing, and writing on-site events and initiatives.
- Regular updating of social media channels and collaborating on content ideas for social media as well as updating on web editorial content.
- Edit content produced by Sri Lanka and Canada-based team members, including additional writing and proofreading as necessary.
- Engaging with influencers and partners to build relationships and encourage cross-promotion.
- Work closely with the Founding Chair and the Marketing and Communications Lead as needed on other duties as assigned.
- Currently in or recently completed undergraduate degree or diploma in Communication Studies, Marketing, Design/UX, or related disciplines.
- Knowledge of digital content strategy and tactics, including content creation, editing, analytics, social media marketing, blogging, and search engine optimization.
- Knowledge and experience in social media channel marketing and optimization including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and Flickr.
- Experience designing, customizing, and maintaining WordPress sites and development content, and expertise in Adobe Creative Suite.
- Excellent presentation, interpersonal, analytical, and oral and written communication skills.
- Full fluency in English and conversational proficiency in Tamil.
- Strong personal initiative, resourcefulness and capacity to be self-motivated and also work as part of a team.
- Must be driven to improve the lives of marginalized people, and work with them to do so, in a way that is led by them, for them, and is sustainable and achieves their objectives.
- Must be committed to equality, and by extension, open to learning about resilience, diversity and solidarity from the vulnerable communities they are working with.
- Must be able to lead by example by being open minded, humble and embrace opportunities to grow personally.
Preferred but not mandatory qualifications
- Currently in or recently completed graduate degree or postgraduate diploma in Communication Studies, Marketing, Design/UX, or related disciplines.
- Experience in video editing and production, and photo editorials.
- Experience in similar role at local non-profit or international non-government organization.
Volunteer Benefits and Support
- Fifty percent (50%) of all placement costs covered by comdu.it (travel, meals, health insurance, accommodation).
- Guidance with booking flights, obtaining visa, accommodations, etc.
- Participation in pre-departure training where you will have the opportunity to learn about comdu.it’s work, gain practical skills for living and working in a lower middle-income country, and meet other volunteers.
- In-country orientation and briefing upon arrival in-country.
- Support and guidance prior to departure and while on assignment in Sri Lanka.
- Return debriefing in Canada after completion of assignment.
- The opportunity of a lifetime to provide meaningful assistance to war-impacted communities in the North and East of Sri Lanka.
- Applicants must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada between the ages of 25 – 40.
- Departure date is contingent upon the timely completion of all administrative requirements (e.g. visa process, medical clearance, police checks, travel documentation).
- Successful applicants must raise fifty percent (50%) of their placement costs (travel, meals, health insurance, accommodations) – approximately $1,500.