There is growing interest amongst Canadians, and especially members of the Canadian Tamil diaspora, in contributing their time and professional expertise in a meaningful manner to develop and empower vulnerable communities in war-affected, under-developed, rural, and remote regions of Sri Lanka. However, it is often difficult for these individuals to identify and connect with credible local community-based organizations in Sri Lanka.
comdu.it is a growing global network of diaspora changemakers interested in sustainable development of vulnerable communities in war-affected, under-developed, rural, and remote regions of Sri Lanka, with an emphasis on the Northern and Eastern Provinces. Its mission is to help shift diaspora engagement from charity to sustainability, from aid to economic development, and from remittance to knowledge-based economy. It currently operates in Canada and Germany.
The Associateship program stream provides new and young professionals with the opportunity to discover, connect, and explore their heritage and history in the North and East of Sri Lanka. Applicants will pre-plan a project prior to their arrival in Sri Lanka, do a high-intensity implementation over a specified period of time on the ground in the Northern and Eastern provinces, and continue evaluation upon their return to Canada.
YarlIT Hub is a not-for-profit social enterprise fostering innovation, entrepreneurship and technology in Northern Sri Lanka. For more information, please visit www.yarlithub.org.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Work with teams to help proliferate blockchain technology in the YarlIT Hub Community.
- Work with the team of volunteers who are working on an open source blockchain project on design and implementation areas.
- Provide appropriate guidance for all aspects of this project and produce relevant institutional resources.
- Contributes to the integration of gender perspectives/considerations and specific women/girls’ rights in all activities.
- Completed undergraduate degree or diploma in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, Mathematics, or related disciplines.
- Experience with one or more of the following Blockchain/Distributed Ledger Technologies: Ethereum, Hyperledger , Multichain, Ripple, Chain, BlockApps, Corda, and/or Monax/Eris.
- Knowledge of a core set of systems including databases, transactions processing, messaging and integration technology.
- Quick learner with a demonstrated ability to think strategically and creatively when developing partnership opportunities.
- Excellent presentation, analytical, and oral and written communication skills.
- Full fluency in English and conversational proficiency in Tamil.
- Strong personal initiative, resourcefulness and capacity to be self-motivated and also work as part of a team.
- Must be driven to improve the lives of marginalized people, and work with them to do so, in a way that is led by them, for them, and is sustainable and achieves their objectives.
- Must be committed to equality, and by extension, open to learning about resilience, diversity and solidarity from the vulnerable communities they are working with.
- Must be able to lead by example by being open minded, humble and embrace opportunities to grow personally.
Preferred but not mandatory qualifications:
- Currently in or recently completed graduate degree or postgraduate diploma in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, Mathematics, or related disciplines.
- Installation, configuration and development including work within a production environment.
- Experience with security and cryptography.
- Experience with Blockchain architecture design patterns and supporting infrastructure.
- Prior experience working in areas of emerging technology and driving new points of view and capabilities.
- Experience in defining one or more following architecture aspects: Availability, Maintainability, Operability, Scalability and Portability.
- Possess the ability to confidently articulate the benefits (and drawbacks) of an open source implementation to technical and non-technical client stakeholders.
- Work experience in vocational institutions, post-secondary institutions, or international organizations.
Volunteer Benefits and Support
- Fifty percent (50%) of all placement costs covered (travel, meals, health insurance, accommodation).
- Guidance with booking flights, obtaining visa, accommodations, etc.
- Participation in pre-departure training where you will have the opportunity to learn about comdu.it’s work, gain practical skills for living and working in a lower middle-income country, and meet other volunteers.
- In-country orientation upon arrival.
- Potential tour and briefing of the Northern and Eastern provinces.
- Support and guidance prior to departure and while on assignment in Sri Lanka.
- Return debriefing in Canada after completion of assignment.
- The opportunity of a lifetime to provide meaningful assistance to war-impacted communities in the North and East of Sri Lanka.
- Applicants must be a citizen or permanent resident of Canada or Germany between the ages of 25 – 40.
- Departure date is contingent upon the timely completion of all administrative requirements (e.g. visa process, medical clearance, vulnerable sector checks, travel documentation).
- Successful applicants must raise fifty percent (50%) of their placement costs (travel, meals, health insurance, accommodations).