Position: Program Assistant
Location: Toronto, Canada
Date Posted: March 7, 2019
Job Term: 1 part-time assignment (25 hours per week) for up to 6 months with possibility of extension
Salary: CAD 33,584 – 43,531 (per annum, pro rata)
Job ID No.: 2019-001
Other Details: This position may be converted into a remote position for an exceptional candidate from Australia, Germany, United Kingdom, or United States. Preference will be given to those with a demonstrable commitment to international development and engagement with issues impacting the traditional Tamil homelands in Sri Lanka.
Established in 2014, comdu.it is a rapidly growing non-profit network of ‘changemakers’ of Tamil heritage who are passionate about mobilizing diaspora expertise, technology, and networks towards sustainable development of the traditional Tamil homelands in Sri Lanka. Our mission is to catalyze the next phase of diaspora engagement from charity to sustainability, from aid to economic development, and from supporting remittance economies to building knowledge markets instead. Since 2016, we have placed nearly 20 Tamil-speaking diaspora professionals – including urban planners, educators, social workers, and business, IT and legal professionals – for periods ranging from one to three months to build the capacity of local community-based organizations that serve Tamil-speaking communities in the Northern, Eastern, and Central Provinces of Sri Lanka. We are headquartered in Toronto, Canada with additional operations in Hamburg, Germany.
Reporting to the Founding Chair, the Program Assistant provides programming and operational support. The individual performs a variety of administrative, coordination, and logistical services in support of the operations of the program and assist with successful outcomes for senior leadership team. The Program Assistant must be an energetic, detail-oriented, and creative individual who enjoys working within a small entrepreneurial environment that is vision-based, outcomes-focused, and community-oriented. The ideal individual will have the ability to exercise good judgment in a variety of situations and the ability to manage competing priorities while ensuring tact and discretion on confidential matters.
SCOPE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Evaluates and improves office operations. Uses formal procedures and tools to track memos, briefs, and coordinate other work performed in the office.
- Manages the Chair’s calendar, scheduling meetings and appointments without prior approval. On own initiative and discretion, arranges for alternate representation when that is desirable.
- Attends meetings, takes notes, notes commitments made, informs program leads and volunteer of commitments, and tracks follow through on implementation.
- Reads incoming correspondence, publications, regulations, and directives that may affect the organization. Determines the ones that can be acted upon personally and takes necessary action. Obtains clarification of instructions from senior leadership team or appropriate focal points on own initiative. Brings significant items in reports, files and correspondence to the Chair’s attention.
- Maintains subject and project files of correspondence, program documents, and reports, and manages internal knowledge/information management system (Google Drive).
- Develop, maintain, and regularly present an executive dashboard of priorities and projects, and results achieved for Chair and Board of Directors.
- Coordinates the purchase of equipment and supplies for the office. Acquires equipment and services through standard procedures for procuring, authorizing, controlling, and justifying the purchases.
- Researches, identifies, and tracks funding opportunities and unsolicited Calls for Proposal.
- Assists with monthly bookkeeping and liaising with accountant.
- Performs other duties as required.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent required, preferably in International Development Studies.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in program support and executive assistance.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative to manage multiple, detail-oriented tasks simultaneously.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain good relationships with different stakeholders.
- Understanding of political, socio-cultural, and economic issues impacting Tamil-speaking communities in Sri Lanka.
- Familiarity with the UN’s 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
- Excellent English writing, research, analytical skills required.
- Fluency in a second language (Tamil, French, German) a plus.
- strong organizational, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Demonstrated strong critical thinking and analytical skills.
- Good financial acumen and ability to develop and monitor project budgets.
- Attention to detail and ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Strong computer skills, MS-Office, WordPress, MailChimp, Fotor, Social Media (HubSpot), etc.
HOW TO APPLY
- You must apply by email to email@example.com.
- Your cover letter and resume combined should not exceed three (3) pages.
- Please include a two-page writing sample demonstrating your ability to synthesize information.
- Please apply by no later than March 31, 2019 at 11:59 p.m. EST.
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted. Applicant must be legally able to work in Canada.
comdu.it promotes pluralism and equal opportunity and is committed to diversity in its staffing and to the maintenance of an environment free of discriminatory employment practices. comdu.it’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunity to all individuals. No individual shall be discriminated against because of actual or perceived age, caste, class, disability, marital status, religion, gender identity, or sexual orientation.